Thursday, December 17, 2009

Clutter Free


As I was packing and moving this fall, it got me thinking about all the stuff that we tend to accumulate. I don't like to have a lot of "things" lying around. I don't like to have too many "things" displayed. I don't save much because "I might use it in the future." If something is no longer serving a purpose I either set it in a Tupperware bin that I have set aside for a yard sale or I take it to Goodwill. I truly believe that having too much stuff can become a burden and make our homes harder to function in. Excess, even if it's tied to sentimental value, can take over and weigh a person down.

As the New Year is approaching, it got me thinking about what are some good "rules" to live by when it comes to sorting through possessions. This is a list that my Grandma Michele started and hopefully I can continue to add to this list as the years go by.

1st Step: When you come across an item ask yourself these questions about that item. It might help you place it in your new bin... or bins :)

1. Do I love it?
2. Do I use it?
3. Do I have more than I really need or use?
4. Does keeping more than I need or use prevent others from using and enjoying it?
5. Does holding onto this item create a storage problem that adds to my overall frustration?
6. Does this item serve my focus or current lifestyle?

This last question is perfect for sorting through clothing. Trust me ladies - you are not going to wear that sweater again and those pants are not going to come back into style. Get rid of it!

How about it? Is tackling those closets and basements your next New Year's resolution?

No comments: