Thursday, September 23, 2010

Book Case

I found this awesome book case at the Funky Junk show in Puyallup back in May. She was a pretty yellow color but still in rough shape. When I saw her I knew for sure that she was to go in our baby's room. What a perfect height for all the books and toys that will be crammed into it over the years. Here is the fun process of transforming our "new" piece of furniture.

After several different samples of paint, I found the navy blue I wanted - I went with the middle color (Mystified by Valspar) so let the sanding begin. Isn't she a beaut?



                           

Here is Zach in action. He was such a sweetheart too because he didn't mind at all working on this project. We sanded and painted it three separate times and then I came back for touch ups with a 4th coat. I read somewhere that to achieve the best results when painting furniture is to sand in between the coats numerous times ...so that's what we did.


Here is the finished product. Super cute - and nice and big too for all the fun stuff that we're going to put into it. Total cost for bookcase - $75 (handsome laborer was free).

p.s. It looks like Edgar and Artie have already claimed their space.

On another note, I found this pillow cover on an endcap at Target for $2.99. All I had to do was buy a pillow form (bought at JoAnns with 40% off coupon) and I had a really cute pillow that totally matches what I've got going on in the room. Total cost for pillow - $8.98.

                          

                                       

My next project is to make another pillow with some more cute orange dots. We also have a small dresser that we're going to paint white once our crib arrives (need to match the whites).

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Wow! Your bookshelf looks fantastic. I love that you painted it blue instead of white or a more neutral color.

Anonymous said...

I love that bookshelf! Good job handsome laborer and beautiful innovator!

Jessie