Zach came home the other day to find ALL of our office files out of the cabinet and on the desk (or floor) and a huge pile of papers to be shredded! I was on a mission to organize every single piece of paper in every file folder. I was determined to find a home for everything.
I bought new file folders at Costco because I wanted to have all matching folders (a little much I know but it makes me feel good). As each folder came out with the files, each paper got a new home - either in my new folder or in the shredder pile.
It was amazing what I found - many documents were no longer needed (insurance papers from an accident 8 years ago, my first bank statement from '98) and we were able to pair down a lot simply because so much in now available online.
All papers now have a home...I find this critical to keeping an office running smoothly.
I put all of these categories together and then separated them into sections: Investment statements, Bank statements, Mortgage documents, Insurance (both cars and homes), Medical & Health Insurance, etc. And then I had many files of misc. items.
As for how long to keep certain statements I found several helpful websites that told me if I should keep something or shred it. So if you're curious that info. is definitely out there. For example, the utility bills aren't necessary to keep - just check it against last month's statement and then get rid of last month's bill. This will really help with just the amount of papers floating around your home or office.
I didn't have any pictures of the process - probably a good thing - but I do have a few of how it all looks in the cabinet...
Nice and Tidy
Some of the Misc. Documents
(I put these files on the bottom because of the infrequency of use)
So pretty!
And then while I was at it I touched up the top part of the cabinet.
P.S. The cute picture on the middle shelf is of my sister Jess (on the left) and me when we were about 2 & 4 years old. I thought I'd blow up the shot so that you could see us:
If you look closely you'll see that I had a "baby bump" then as well! :)
Don't ask me why I was standing like that.
My mom says that I still stand that way -with my gut out like that!
At least I don't have a mullet...right Jess! :)



4 comments:
Okay, love the picture of you and jessie! So cute! Hair is awesome! Nice job on the filing system. You go girl. You have a talent for orgazination. Looking good on the golf course also! Glad you and Zach were able to go to Leavenworth for the day. TORI
Um, could you please come to my house!!!!! I was just telling Sean we need an office OVERHAUL! Desperately. Ugh.... it's out of control. I should take a picture, but I think it'd be too scary. :) OH and I laughed at your picture when you were little. I stood like that too!! hahaha and my mom would tell me to "suck and tuck" haha so funny. :) Hope you're feeling good, Kim! xx
Hey girls...thanks for the comments. It's amazing how good it feels to know that everything is where it should be!
Tori -miss you and will see you soon!
Sara -I'd love to come to your house to help...suck & tuck-I love it!
Hi Kim! You are too funny... the organized files look great! We are looking forward to coming home for fair next weekend.
Post a Comment