Sunday, November 27, 2011

Blogging for Books-Living Close to God

I took a little break from Blogging for Books lately. Still love this fun & awesome opportunity, I just haven't had the time to write reviews. It takes awhile to read and then write something for the website. But the good news is that I'm back and I have another book to share with you all.






The Gormley Gab presents:
Blogging for Books-Living Close to God: when you're not good at it by Gene Edwards



It is always hard for me to write a book review when I wasn’t that satisfied with the book. I hate to be critical of the author as a writer because who am I to judge when I am a novice in this field. But the reality is that Living Close to God was a book that really wasn’t worth my time.

The author, Gene Edwards, wrote about his personal experience with struggling to be a “spiritual” person. After a breakthrough experienced that changed his life, Edwards shares how he uses techniques throughout his day to stay connected to God. Some of his ideas included memorizing scripture & taking time throughout the whole day to connect with God – especially in the mornings. He highlights quality time with the Lord versus a specific quantity that really matters. It is really the little things that add up. Edwards expresses this idea when he writes, “The Lord communicates in a simple way. He makes fellowshipping with Him a straightforward process that any one of us can do” (pg 90). I agree that there are small steps that we can take throughout the day to stay connected with God.

I didn’t have a problem with the ideas that Gene Edwards presented in his book. In fact, the whole topic is very relevant to me as I strive to have a deeper relationship with God. The problem I had with Living Close to God was that it was way too long for how simply he stated everything. The thoughts that Edward provided would have been better suited for an article in a magazine or online article rather than stretching his thoughts into a book format. I became very bored pretty early in my reading.

A positive quality of this book was the group discussion questions in the back third of the book. Small groups could use this section and have nice discussions. I’m torn in recommending this book to others. Unfortunately I feel like there are many other books out there that would be a better fit for those who are looking to strengthen their walk – even when they are not good at it.

*FTC Disclaimer: I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.



If you get a chance, check out my review at Blogging for Books. There you will find information on how to purchase the book, read the 1st chapter, as well as rank my review (I can win prizes if you rank my review!) so go to the website.


No comments: