Monday, September 12, 2011

Blogging for Books-Enemies of the Heart

One of my goals lately has been to read more non-fiction works rather than my "go-to" fiction addiction. In fact, I've read more non-fiction books this year than I have in a really long time. So in choosing my next blogging for books book, I picked a book that would probably stretch me and make me think. Andy Stanley's Enemies of the Heart definitely caused me to stop and examine what was going on in my heart. Enjoy my next review:


The Gormley Gab presents:
Blogging for Books - Enemies of the Heart by Andy Stanley


Have you ever began to read a book thinking it would not pertain to you, only to find out rather quickly that the topics in the book have everything to do with you? This was absolutely true for me when I began reading Enemies of the Heart by Andy Stanley. This book took me longer than usual to read, not because it was necessarily difficult to understand, but because I had to process and work through many of the author’s concepts. I was convicted on several of his points – but in meaningful and helpful ways.
The premise of Stanley’s book is to introduce, explain, and then to help resolve the four main “emotions” that can absolutely control & destroy crucial areas of your life. The “enemies of the heart” are Guilt, Anger, Greed, and Jealousy. If you and I are honest with ourselves, haven’t we all struggled with at least one of these emotions during specific times in our lives? And if we are really honest then perhaps even more than one? Most likely you are experiencing the effects of an enemy right now. What are you supposed to do when one of these emotions becomes fixed in your heart? Stanley offers simple (but not easy) solutions on how to gain control over the four destructive emotions.

One of the four emotions that I experienced the most conviction, and I didn’t think I would, was greed. Stanley provided a very different but accurate look on what makes a person greedy: “Maybe this is a bit hard for you to swallow because you’ve never had a greedy thought in your life. Maybe you feel compassion every time you see someone in need. And in your heart you really do want to help. You want to give, but you can’t. Or you won’t. Why? Because you’re afraid you won’t have enough. But your heart genuinely goes out those in need. So is it fair to say you’re greedy? Yes. Because greed is not a feeling; it’s a refusal to act” (pg 153). Stanley convicts his readers but does so with compassion.

In the final chapters of the book, the author lays out the core strategies to fight the enemies of the heart: If we struggle with guilt then we are supposed to confess; if we struggle with anger then we have to forgive. If it is greed then we need to give; and if it’s jealousy then we must celebrate others triumphs. Every one of the four emotions that Stanley discusses with his readers will have a direct affect on the way we handle ALL relationships – especially and most importantly with God. We must get control over these dangerous emotions if we are going to lead healthy & meaningful lives.

Andy Stanley laid out his explanations and ideas clearly and effectively. A sign of a good book to me is if I would read it again – the answer is yes. This book isn’t only for those who think they have a “problem” that needs to be addressed; this book should be read by everyone (and I don’t write that very often).

*FTC Disclaimer: I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.


If you get a chance, check out my review at Blogging for Books. There you will find information on how to purchase the book, as well as rank my review (I can win prizes if you rank my review!)

Also, this book has great discussion questions at the end of the book - so it would be a wonderful book to study with your bible study or book club.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hi Kim!!! I read the "Enemies of the Heart" book on my recent trip to Cali! Great book and gives such simple tools to use in everyday living!