In February we read the book The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. I had never read any of his books before, which is strange being an English major, but I was glad to be introduced to him, and I thought that this book definitely fits in with one of my New Year's Goals of reading some of the classics from American Literature. The Sun Also Rises was definitely not my favorite, but I know that we don't have to like them all! It is a difficult read because of the setting/time period it was written (1920s) and the plot is confusing. I almost felt like I was one of my former students complaining about the assigned book! However, I think it's important to try new authors and books (especially the classics) and identify some of the themes the authors are trying to explain/teach. In March we are going to read To Kill a Mockingbird. This is an amazing story (I've read it at least 5 times for school), and I'm looking forward to our next month's discussion and seeing what the ladies thought about this one...
One of the things I like about this group of ladies is that we are all very different, but we love to read. It is interesting to hear how their past experiences play a part in how they interpret each book.
The Book Club for me is a fun part of our new life here in Waterville.



1 comment:
I love me some good books! I'm reading a few now. One When God doesn't make sense, one on praise and the other 3 cups of tea...don't know how I keep up with them all!
Thank you, thank you for all your encouragement and yor notes! Your a huge blessing and you brighten my day! I don't have your email so I'm commenting! When my new computer comes in I can actually read blogs on a real screen!
Blessings to you-your amazing!
Post a Comment