Thursday, July 29, 2010

Organzing the Pantry

When we first moved into our new place, one of the first things I noticed about the kitchen was that it didn't have a typical pantry that so many of us have come to know and love. I decided to use a hall closet just around the corner from the kitchen as my pantry. Just to get moved in, I quickly put food items on the shelves and closed the doors (I know non of you have ever done this)!

Being the organizational junkie that I am, that pantry haunted me every time I opened it. So...it was time to get busy with some organization.

My inspiration came when I ran across this blog House of Smith's providing a step by step process on how she updated her pantry. Unlike her process however, mine was just about putting everything into its proper place. When we get to remodel our kitchen (hopefully someday soon) then I'll be able to jazz up the space and go all out like she did.

Here are steps and some pictures of my process.

Before
Step One: I removed all items from the pantry and grouped them into like categories on the kitchen table. In the "before"there was no rhyme or reason as to where things went. I wanted this to change for the "after."


Step Two: I wiped down the shelves with some cleaner. I have no idea how things got so messy when it's just the two of us (for now)!


Step Three: I thought about where I wanted the grouped foods to occupy on the shelves. I put my baskets and jars there so I could see how it was all going to function. This part took a long time for me to figure out. I had to keep rearranging.
*But if you take the time to do this, the flow will work so much better...and a big bonus is that less food will be wasted. You can see exactly how much of a product you have available.


Step Four: I found some labels at our local craft store and applied them to the jars (all glass jars I found at Walmart). I like how this looks in keeping everything identifiable.


I didn't end up using all of the labels...but I tucked them away for the future.
Step Five: Finally, I put everything into their new homes. This also took longer than I had expected, but I'm sure happy with how it turned out.

Here is my inspiration "after" picture:


And here is my "after" picture:


How I organized the shelves:
1st shelf-I put most of the dinner making materials (this is what I usually use in the pantry).
2nd shelf-has our snacks & stuff for Zach's lunches/cereal & breakfast foods.
3rd shelf-I put the canned goods and baking supplies.
4th shelf-is used for items that I don't use often/extras of foods/kitchen supplies

I hope this post motivates you to organize some area in your home!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it!! How did you find that blog? Is she a friend? I think I was on the smith house blog for about an hour before I realized I needed to do something productive myself! I love anything that has to do with organizing in a decorative way!! Great job on your own pantry :0) Chrissy

jorden9879 said...

I was dieing when I clicked on your blog and this post came up. My mom just said to me yesterday, "Jorden you really need to organize your pantry." Ha funny, I do, the truth just stinks sometimes. Ok, I love your organization, we have company this weekend, but before August is over that is my goal!!!!

Kim @ The Gab said...

Hey Chrissy...she was just someone I stumbled upon out in blog land.
Hey Jorden...do you want me to come over and help you organize?